Bellamy Harbor Park is a regional/community park located off East Whitesboro Street in East Rome. It is not owned by the City of Rome but rather by the New York State Canal Corporation.
The park is designed to serve the population of Rome as well as travelers along the Barge (Erie Canal). The park has frontage along East Whitesboro Street as well as a high degree of visibility from two of Rome’s entryway: The Route 46/69 arterial and Mill Street.
Bellamy Harbor Park is open from morning to dusk.
The development of Bellamy Harbor Park includes the following:
- A large dock with eight posts for docking boats;
- A cement promanade walkway along the canal;
- A wooden walkway also along the canal;
- A fishing/boating landing;
- A picnic area with tables, seating and a pay phone;
- A pedestrian bridge spanning the Mohawk River and connecting the park with East Whitesboro Street;
- Landscaping and landscape trees; and
- A decorative lighting scheme which provides for both functional lighting and a visually appealing area.
The park is well equipped for evening activities and hosts some citywide events during the year.
The park is served by a small parking lot off of Mill Street with Rome for approximately 20 to 25 vehicles. There is additional parking nearby off Mill Street.
In order to hold an event or function at Bellamy Harbor Park, a permit from the NYS Canal Corporation is needed. For information on obtaining the permit or for an application, people may contact the Recreation Department at (315) 339-7656 or the Syracuse Office of the NYS Canal Corporation, Suite 502,
224 Harrison Street, Syracuse, NY 13202-3060; (315) 437-2741at or visit the state canal website at www.nyscanals.gov